What's the first thing that comes to mind when you read this eleven letter word? Is it excitement, anxiety, a sense of defeat or elation? Transition = change. Inevitable, par for the course, routine occurrences. We know this, right? Transitions and change, they are the only constants, yet how many of us can honestly say we are maximizing the benefits of the transitions we are currently in? Probably not many of us. I for one have spent many ages, stages and phases barely surviving. The growth that came from these periods was painful, excruciating, nearly life ending at certain points. Transition scared me and I did everything I could to avoid change even when I wanted it. The confusion and fear was debilitating. This is something I wish on no one. There came a point where I came face to face with the fear that was running my life, fear of change, of stepping into my power, of reinventing the relationship I had with myself and the world around me. This was a turning point, a wake up, a paradigm shift. I reinvented myself and starting growing through transition instead of barely making my way through the changes that came at me. I starred choosing how I would change versus being victim to the circumstances that showed up. I stopped surviving. I started thriving.
My life today is very different than it ever has been, a far leap from where I was years ago. More often than not, I am eager to step into change and curious about where it will lead because I am so clear about who I am and what I want. The process of healing has been a paradigm shift from illness to wellness, surviving to thriving, fear to love. Learning to navigate transition and thrive through it has become my life's work because of my own profound transformations. Addiction to sobriety. Abuse to self celebration. Poverty to wealth (in more areas than one). Loneliness to vibrant community. Apologizing for who I am to sharing my inherent gift with pride. All the road bumps I have encountered and survived through have led me to a new place of thriving. The rules of the road, tricks of the trade, tools and techniques learned and cultivated through trial and more trial are as valuable as gold. Well earned and honed, like tempered steel growing stronger through the fiery times, I now thrive through all transition, thanks to committing to some simple things on a consistent basis. Do you want to learn how?
Here's a glimpse into the roadmap for thriving through every and any transition. These will get you started & turn from surviving into thriving:
• Ask the right questions: turn "why?" into "what (now)?"
• Use failure as a launching pad: when life interrupts, there is wisdom to gain when you choose to see it:
Take the "no" to get to the "yes"
• Stop resisting fear, use it
Try asking "who would I be without this fear?" and see what comes... it could be life changing
• Visualize your desires: surround yourself with what you want not necessarily what you have currently
Vision boards are legit. Use that imagination to start thriving, no more feeding worry or fear!
• Follow the formula (Yes, there is a formula for success!): here's where a mentor comes in handy
• Link up with your tribe: no one does it alone
• Get mindful: Meditate, & no you don’t have to sit cross legged
• Watch those thoughts, they create reality
• Write it out: express yourself, free the mind & let it out; whether it makes sense or not matters not!
Julia Cameron's daily pages exercise from The Artist's Way is a great place to start
• Stop and play: prioritize simple joys to balance the scales between all the hard work you're doing
• Take a time out
• Get grateful: a daily gratitude list does wonders for the soul & perspective
Choose your domino effect
• Schedule everything: balance happens with a little curiosity & intention
• Pay attention to the basics
• Let go of something tangible: Spring cleaning anyone?
Releasing creates space for what is ready to enter in, give Life a nod that you are ready for the next best thing
• Play the magic wand game: if you could have, be, create, experience anything what would it be?
Quit playing those limiting thought tapes & let your visionary out... remember, thoughts create reality
If some of these don't make sense to you completely, you're not alone! Learning into a new way of life is a process with many layers. Wherever you are, whatever you begin incorporating from the list above, it is a gorgeous start. This is what transitions are all about, learning and growing through everything. Reach out to me for more guidance and clarity on how to customize these tips and use what you're going through for your benefit. My personal coaching program, Lifestyle: Reinvention, has just a few spots left for VIPs like you. Claim your place & begin reinventing with success now: Don't just go through life, grow through it!
Reinvention awaits and the best is yet to be. Redefine your relationship to where you've been and where you're going. I believe in you.
Darcy Helene Meehan
As an advocate of Reinvention + Recovery, I work with clients to achieve balance, alignment and purpose in all areas